The history of its construction is linked to the events of its first owner. Pope Julius III del Monte wanted to thank Cardinal d'Este for the essential contribution made in 1550 to his election to the papal throne by appointing him governor for life of Tivoli and its territory. The cardinal arrived in Tivoli on 9 September and made a triumphal entry there, discovering however that he would have had to live in an old and uncomfortable convent annexed to the church of Santa Maria Maggiore , built centuries earlier by the Benedictines , now kept by the Franciscans and partially readapted to the governor's residence.
Basilica of San Paolo
It is on the Via Ostiense , in the district, near the left bank of the Tiber , about 2 k m outside the Aurelian walls (hence its name), leaving the Porta San Paolo . It stands on the place that tradition indicates as that of the burial of the apostle Paul (about 3 km from the place - called " Tre Fontane " - where he suffered martyrdom and was beheaded); the saint 's tomb is located under the papal altar . For this reason, over the centuries, it has always been a destination for pilgrimages; since 1300 , the date of the first Holy Year , it is part of the jubilee itinerary to obtain indulgence and the rite of the opening of the Holy Door is celebrated there. Since the eighth century the care of the liturgy and the votive lamp on the tomb of the apostle has been entrusted to the Benedictine monks of the adjoining abbey of San Paolo outside the walls .
The Rione Testaccio, located south of the Aventine and on the left bank of the Tiber, stands out from the other districts of Rome for having managed to maintain its original popular spirit over time, in contrast to many other areas of central Rome who, today, have lost that familiar and characteristic flavor of true Rome.
Testaccio could be defined as "a country within a city" which is Rome.
In spite of evolution, the quarter remains, at least as far as possible, simple in its lifestyle and at "human size".
The neighborhood is already famous in itself, but it is also known in the Roman environment for a very special issue:
it was in the Testaccio quarter that the Roma football team, in the 1930s, had its legendary football field ... the "Campo Testaccio"!
The Circus Maximus is an ancient Roman circus, dedicated to horse racing, built in Rome. Located in the valley between the Palatine and the Aventine, it is remembered as a venue for games since the beginning of the history of the city: in the valley the mythical episode of the rat of the Sabines would have occurred, on the occasion of the games called by Romulus in honor of the god Consus. Certainly the large flat area and its proximity to the Tiber landing where commercial exchanges took place from the most remote antiquity, meant that since the foundation of the city the place was the elective space in which to conduct market and exchanges with other populations, and - consequently - also the related ritual and socialization activities, such as games and competitions.
Montemartini power plant
The Montemartini power station was a thermoelectric power plant on the Via Ostiense in Rome. Following its decommissioning as an electricity production plant, it is now used as a museum forming part of the museum system of Roma Capitale called Musei in Comune . It houses about 400 Roman statues, already exhibited in the Capitoline Museums or recovered from the rich municipal deposits, together with epigraphs and mosaics, in an extraordinary setting of industrial archeology .